Re: Nematodes in Soil. Harmful to plants?

>Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 09:48:17 -0700
>From: "Darrell Roze" <wwn.droze at kermode_net>
>Subject: RE: Nematodes in Soil. Harmful to plants?
>
>> From: taylorjc2 at juno_com
>
>>  I had been thinking of using my own subsoil that I dug off a hill.  How
>> much should I worry about nematodes from outdoor soil?  Can they destroy
>> plant roots?
>
>I am hardly a nematode expert, but, from what little I know of them,
>nematodes are incredibly prolific.  The soil you have gathered will have
>large numbers of them.  Most are harmless, but some are parasitic.  They can
>survive severe changes in their environment, but I donít know if they can
>survive for long periods underwater.  I donít know if they can damage
>aquatic plants.
>
>I would be interested in hearing from someone with more knowledge than me on
>the subject.  However, from the large number of people that use unsterilized
>soil in their aquariums, I suspect nematodes should not be a major concern.

From what I have come across, re nematodes, the ones that are plant
parasites are usually rather host specific, and so it is doubtful that they
would damage aquatic plants even if they could survive in an underwater
substrate.  Nematode problems is about the last thing I would worry about.
I use natural soil, both topsoil and subsoil, and have never had any
problems.

Paul Krombholz, in bone dry central Mississippi