Answering:Algae with a taste for a........

Matt writes:

Hi, everyone...

I seem to be having a problem with algae, but algae
with a peculiar taste
for one type of leaf.  It only attacks amazon sword
plants, to the exclusion
of every other plant in the tank.  All the amazon
swords in the tank have
this on their outermost leaves.  Only the inner
younger leaves are
untouched.  It isn't a hair algae, but a green, slimy
film on the leaves.
It is so tough that It can't be scraped off without
destroying the leaf.  In
fact, it actually seems to be destroying or weakening
the leaves.  I have
other swords, including melon and another type I can't
identify, right next
to the affected plants, both untouched.

The tank is a relatively low maintenance 55 gallon,
with a straight sand
substrate, unfiltered, with 4 Chroma 50 bulbs (160
watts) hanging 5 inches
above the open top.  I use Kent freshwater plant
micronutrient supplement
and Seachem's Flourish, both as directed.  No Co2
currently, although I have
used yeast in the past.  I prune dead leaves when it
needs it, and live ones
when the tank begins to resemble a green cube.  I
haven't paid too much
attention to water chemistry aside from things that
are dangerous to the
fish.  The PH is 6.5-7, and it is regrettably
relatively hard water.

I know I haven't given you much info to work with, but
if anyone can
identify this algae and tell me how to get rid of it,
it would be much
appreciated.

Matt

I was wondering if someone would answer Matt's
question since I have and am running into the same
problem and am curious as to the answer
TIA Davis :)