Re: Flouride

Wright writes:

<snip>> Clay contains alumina or aluminum silicate, both highly stable and
unlikely
>  to react much with fluoride ions. It contains no free aluminum. The
fluoride
>  ion's ability to react with tooth enamel (a calcium compound) is why it is
>  decay preventive, so some tiny amount is possibly attached to clay
>  particles, too.<<snip>

I once asked a chemist friend about something to remove calcium and magnesium
from the water and precipitate it.  HFl came up as an option, but he assured
me that the flouride ions were reactive enough that my tanks would suffer
from its ability to dissolve glass.  Glass is also extremely "stable" but not
immune to flourides strong reagent ability.  So it would seem to me that
silicates in any form would not be safe from being knocked loose and replaced
by Fl ions.