RE: Riccia

>Is Riccia a relatively fast growing plant ?

Yes.

If I left it on the surface does
>it multiply pretty quickly like duckweed or the like ??

Yes.

If it is like this
>its probably best to grow matts of it to a decent size before trying to tie
>it to things ??

This works well too. I tie it down first myself quite often to produce
cleaner Riccia without any of sometimes associated duckweed or other
floating pest plants that might get mixed in.
FWIW, Amano's Aqua Journal vol.#38 has an extensive section on Riccia and
using it.
Regards,
Tom Barr