Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #289

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Aquatic Plants Digest wrote:

> I've been a List-lurker long enough to know there are false
> SAEs w/ that sucker mouth.  As long as the
> "black-line-goes-to-the-tip-of-tail" you're ok.

"Chinese" algae eaters have sucker mouths.  SAEs and false SAEs do not.
In young specimens you can't always tell if the stripe makes it to the
edge of the tail.  And not all fish that fit the description of SAEs are
well-behaved, dedicated algae eaters.  I don't know why some act
differently, but several of us have reported ill-behaved SAEs.

Roger Miller