Re:Anthocyanidins

> Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 08:47:47 -0400 (EDT)
> From: busko at stsci_edu (Ivo Busko)
> Subject: Re: Anthocyanidins
>
> krombhol at teclink_net (Paul Krombholz) wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > anthocyanins, (no such thing as anthocyanidins) phosphorous DEFICIENCY can
> <snip>
>
> Isn't anthocyanidin a fragment of the anthocyanin molecule ?
>
> - - Ivo Busko
>   Baltimore, MD

	I actually didn't do all that well in organic chemistry so I hope the
experts will jump on any mistakes I make here ;)
	Yes there are such things as anthocyanidins. The most common
is leucoanthocyanidin. They are not fragments of anthocyanins. They are
intermediate compounds in the formation of anthocyanins. Simplified summation
Flavanol-> Anthocyanidin-> Anthocyanin. An OH group is removed from the
anthocyanidin to make the anthocyanin.
	Who was the original poster of the AZOO product? What color is this
product? I suspect they added bilberry or grape extract to a normal plant
fertilizer. Anthocyanidins are incredibly strong anti-oxidants. Any free
radicals in water should quickly bind with them. This is also another reason I
doubt they will be useful in an aquarium (unless of course you want to lower
free radicals in your tank).