[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: bleach treatment

>Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 11:04:05 -0800
>From: "Alan  Kaufmann" <Alan4ever at worldnet_att.net

>......What did you think of my plant filter?  It continues to suppress green
>algae, but appears to be having little effect on the brush algae.  What an
>irascible problem that stuff is.  It is almost time to do another tank
>overhaul with much bleaching (and bleating on my part).  I wish I could
>further minimize the long term effects of the bleach on the Anubius
>leaves...I am down to only one minute of soaking in a 1:20 solution, but
>still it takes its toll.  Do you think that I would have better luck with
>potassium permanganate?  Would it kill the brush algae?  And would it be
>less damaging to the leaves?  Do you have any guidelines as to how strong a
>solution to use?  I have a lifetime supply of crystals.
>One other strange idea I had was to spray the Anubius leaves with Pam
>cooking spray before dipping in bleach solution in an attempt to protect
>them from the bleach while continuing to expose the brush algae to the
>solution.  Any thoughts on this idea?

The only reason for using the bleach treatment is to get rid of ALL the
brush algae so that it will never come back unless reintroduced by adding
new plants that havn't been treated or new fish along with water containing
fragments of the algae.

Of course, the treatment damages plants, although Anubias is one of the
toughest plants and can withstand the longest exposure.  Treated plants
must be put in a tank that is free of the hair algae species, or else it
will just climb right back on the treated plant.

Paul Krombholz, in Central Mississippi, where two inches of rain Saturday
helped lessen the current drought.