Re: Pumice

Alfred writes:

> Does anyone out there use pumice as a bio filter media?  Is it any
>  good?  It is nature's sintered (sp) glass isn't it?How will it effect PH
>  and KH?  Hope some will be able to help!

Pumice is cheap and easy to find here in Idaho.  We use it as a driveway
filler and a ditch liner.  Even so, I have seen it commercially available as
pond filter medium, packaged all neat in an attractive box.  It was selling
for $13 US for a 3 kg box.  I'm using it as the base for my substrate.  Yes,
it is basically the same as sintered glass.  It is chemically neutral and
won't affect pH, GH, or KH.  It makes an excellent biofilter bed for trickle
filters, canister filters, and UGFs (once it gets wet enough to sink.  It has
to waterlog, just like most woods).  It will provide approximately the same
biofiltration as "bioballs" that take up 4 times the volume.

Bob Dixon
Cichlid Trader List Administrator
http://cichlidtrader.listbot.com