Re: Nymphoides hydrophylla

|Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 20:35:52 EST
|From: IDMiamiBob at aol_com
|Subject: Re:  Nymphoides hydrophylla
|
|Members of this genus, with the exception of banana plants, require
|tremendous amounts of light. Even at 4 watts per gallon, you are nowhere
near
|what they receive outside.  Try putting it in a ten gallon tank and run a
|couple of those screw-in flourescent tubes in an old incandescent light
hood.
| The brightest oned available.  THen add a fan intothe hood to keep the
tank
|cool.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I feel N. hydrophylla is much more
forgiving than N. aquatica. I have had N. hydrophylla for a couple of years,
at the moment I have it in a plastic pot in a 30 cm (1 foot) deep tank with
only one normal output fluorescent tube. N. indica and Hydrocleys nymphoides
did very poorly under these conditions although they looked great, with
buds, when I got them. N hydrophylla keeps sending new 'miniature water lily
leaves' to the surface. I admit it doesn't bloom here and the leaves are
much flatter and thinner than, say, in Kasselmanns  book, photo taken in Sri
Lanka.

I did get a few flowers when I had N. hydrophylla in another tank. It grew
under a writing table lamp that has a sort of miniature double fluorescent
tube that you push in, not the screw-in type. The type number is - hang on -
Phillips PL-S 11W/827. I have no idea about the spectrum, but the light
seems fairly concentrated. And the plant was directly under the lamp.

Jouni