Re: Hybrid sunnies

Some very good and interesting points.  I wasn't aware that the male did
contrubute anything at all in teh Amazon Molly.  However, it makes sense,
since only some species of males (erm, you know what I mean) will "work."
Many, many, species will hybridize in captivity that just don't seem to
"want to" in the wild.  Its interesting, but, in cichlids I've bred, I've
often had an individual refuse a mate of his own kind and instead take
another.  Mind you, the other species was not introduced before the
prospective mate.  Weird. :)
I was aware that hermpahrodites are not uncommon.  However, simultanious
hermpahrodites in the fish world are very uncommon. AFAIK, the two
rivulines are teh only ones which can do it.  Also.. I don't believe that
R. marmaratus ever fertilizes its own eggs...  I just thought it exchanged
gametes with another.... I'd like to hear any other info you may have on
that.
Another weirdo in the fish kingdom I thought of:  The four eyed fish:
Which can only mate with individuals of the other orientation.  The fishes
sexual organs are located one one side.. so a left orientated male can
only mate with a right orientated female.  Truly odd order.

end
><>
J. L. Wiegert
www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/2308