Large Meal Worms

Hello all,
I'm having trouble maturing my large meal worms into their beetle forms. I
have the meal worms in a large tupperware tub and give them oatmeal to eat and
potatoes for moisture. Is there anything I am doing wrong? I just leave them
there and change the potatoes when they're through with them and change the
cage out about once a month, but the worms have just been getting longer and
longer. I've had the culture running for at least 5-6 months now. Any advice
would be greatly appreciated, and isn't it supposedly not hard to get a stable
culture of these guys? Anyway, my big cichlids love em to death. Thanks again
for all the help,

david