Re: Otos and CAE's

Hello Karen,

> I tried to make it clear that I was talking about the couple of species
> most likely to be encountered.

It wasn't clear to me, but maybe I'm just slow ;-). (Readers can refer to
the original post in question below and decide for themselves.) Tell us at
least which species you're referring to.

For example, your second sentence states without qualification that "Otos
are tiny catfish, not much more than inch or inch 1/2 when full grown." This
is not true.

You go on to say that, "Most have some black markings on the tail fin,
though the shape of these markings varies by species. (there are a few
species with minor variations, but this fits both of the more common
species)." I believe most people would understand this to mean that it is
the shape of the black tail fin markings (and nothing else) that varies by
species. Not only is this not true, it is also not true that there are only
a "few" species (20 odd species in the genus strictly defined is more than a
"few," in my vocabulary), that the species have only minor variations or
that most species have black markings on the tail fin.

>  And yes, there are a bunch more species in
> the genus, and several other similar genera as well.  But the bottom line
> is that _none_ of them are easily confused with a CAE.

True.

> Not nearly as much of a disservice as equating them with CAE's ;-)

Also true, but a disservice nonetheless... ;-)

My intention is not to be combative or score debating points. I've learned a
lot on aquatic plants by reading your very knowledgeable and well written
articles.

Just as we participate in the APD to learn from one another and talk with
more specificity about plants, let's be equally open to being more specific
about the fish in our planted tanks.

Merry Christmas,
Dinyar

Karen's original post: