[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Disinfecting java moss

Hi Doug,

I wouldn't recommend a bleach treatment for java mass. It destroyed the 
fine-leaf plants I used in the bath, even the java fern. It did not kill the 
anubias, but I was able to wipe the hairy algae off after soaking. The java 
fern seemingly made it through the bath, but so did the hairy algae. After a 
few days, it was evident the plant was destroyed, and I pulled it out.

You could try a weaker bleach treatment. My feeling is whatever will kill  
the algae, will kill a small plant such as java moss. Hairy algae doesn't 
really die in the bath, it seems to lose a foothold, so it can be wiped off, 
if the plant is such that it allows it. You could try pulling it out and 
treating it separately in a container, controlling minerals and N content, 
and changing water as needed. 


 Was reading on the Plant Fac (by Erik Olson) about disinfecting plants.
 The fac cautioned, "This method can kill your plants, so use only as a
 last resort against hell algae." Will Java Moss tolerate bleach (19
 parts water to one part bleach)?  The post suggested soaking up to 2
 mins. Is potassium permangenate a less caustic treatment? I have some
 Java Moss that is covered in hair algae and I to want salvage it. Java
 moss is hard to come by in my area and I don't want to lose it.
 I have an break of hair algae is in a new tank setup (Two months) and am
 trying to slow it down. The hair algae is the soft long stringy type.
 The tank is small and planted with Anacharis  and Java Moss.  The
 Anacharis  is sending down roots and is really growing well (No viable
 algae).  The Java Moss is covered in Hair Algae and growth has slowed
 down.  The water is crystal clear. Some of the gravel has hair Algae as
 does the corners of the tank.  I have been changing 25% of the water
 each week.
 My plan is to disinfect the plants, tank and top layer of gravel.  I
 will keep the water and filter and bottom layer of gravel and add more
 plants. Would appreciate any information on disinfecting the Java Moss.
 Thank you.
 Doug Martin >>