Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1379

----------
>From: Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com (Aquatic Plants Digest)
>To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
>Subject: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1379
>Date: Tue, Nov 9, 1999, 12:48 AM
>

>Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 22:54:49 EST
>From: PGagne2000 at aol_com
>Subject: Sterilizing driftwood
>
>Hello All,
>I have just received my driftwood centerpiece from Aquarium Driftwood
>(www.aquariumdriftwood.pair.com).  I am impressed with the look, size, and
>shape of it, especially for the money.  My problem is that it comes from a
>freshwater lake in Alabama, and still has traces of algae on it, along with
>who knows what else.  The people who sell it are upfront about it; they make
>no guarantees that it is sterile, but promise that it will not discolor my
>water and say they are not aware of any problems caused by contaminants in it.
>I have decided that I will not risk putting it in my new tank unsterilized.
>It is too big to fit in my oven (approx. 24"X14"X 10"), where I was going to
>put it in a roasting pan filled with water and cover it with foil and boil
>it.  I should note that this wood must be kept wet, or it will dry out and
>float.  It is now in a tightly sealed garbage bag.
>In the APD archives, the only reference to sterilizing a big chunk of wood
>suggests putting it in a metal garbage can on a Coleman stove.  I may have to
>do this yet, but I wonder if anyone can think of another way.  Is there any
>gas I could introduce into the bag that would do it?  Perhaps mix ammonia and
>bleach in a cup in the bag?  ( I use this mainly as an example.  I have been
>warned not to do this inadvertently  too many times to try it lightly).
>Thanks in advance for all suggestions offered.  I will send a follow up post
>if something works well.
>Pierre Gagne
>Silver Spring, MD

You can use salt,bleach, lime etc as long as you rinse it off very well
afterwards.
I used bleach mainly because you can remove chlorine with Amquel.
Get a trash barrel or tub and add water and bleach for a day and rinse and
add Amquel for a day rinse again then do another Amquel treatment. Should
take care of any and everything.
Lime would be my next choice if this scares you. Salt works fine too but
needs more rinsing.
Scraping off manually does the trick typically with algae and most things on
driftwood.
Regards,
Tom Barr