RE: Wierd algae or something

> Saturday
> Can anyone tell me what kind of algae or stuff this is? I
> tried scraping it
> off last weekend when there was only one piece and syphoned
> all I could
> find. Now I have half a dozen colonies of it.

David,

Check out these closeups:
http://www.wheaton.edu/Biology/faculty/ncf/research/hydroids.htm

If it matches, then you have a freshwater hydroid, probably of the genus
Cordylophora.  If not, then my next guess would be a freshwater bryozoan, of
which some species are threadlike and branching--perhaps Plumatella sp., or
Frederacella sp.  My money's on the hydroid.

Regards,

Mark