Wierd algae or something

Saturday
Can anyone tell me what kind of algae or stuff this is? I tried scraping it
off last weekend when there was only one piece and syphoned all I could
find. Now I have half a dozen colonies of it.
http://www.mindspring.com/~djramsey/algae1.jpg
http://www.mindspring.com/~djramsey/algae2.jpg
http://www.mindspring.com/~djramsey/algae3.jpg
http://www.mindspring.com/~djramsey/algae5.jpg   Taken Monday night. A good
closeup except the color is off. The actual color is a creamy white, with
some brownish tinges at the tips.

The fish and algae eaters won't get near it, neither will the snails. I
marches across the glass 2-3 inches a day.
This is a 29 gallon tank, heavily planted, been going great for almost a
year. 3 20watt bulbs,  occasional Seachem Flourish and additional
calcium.  4- 5 gallon water change every week. No other problems in tank for
a long time

Sunday
This morning the stuff to the left side of the pictures has moved up to the
water level and was floating on the surface. I used a turkey baster and
sucked it out. The stuff that was on the right side has moved to the bottom
middle of the tank. Various pieces are now turning up on the plants and the
gravel.  The snails won't go near it, and the fish stay away from it. At the
thick tip area it has like really small polyps, almost like something you
would want to grow in a salt water tank. I have had tanks for 30 years and
never seen anything like this stuff.  I have added a dose of maracyn to the
tank to see what that does.
As a side note - when it moves off an area, even the hard small green dot
algae is gone from the tank glass. If it eats the disgusting hair algae,
I'll syphon it up and let everyone bid on it!!

David Ramsey
Lawrenceville, GA.