Re: Plants from Tropica

In a message dated 9/3/1999 1:55:41 PM Mountain Daylight Time,

> Last time I checked the Tropica (European Plant export company) website, it
>  said that they are legally not permitted to mail their plants to me in the
>  US. Is this true for lfs as well? Can they order for me from Tropica?

It is illegal to bring any plants into the US when the roots are not
completely clean and visible.  This is to protect against more introductions
of critters like fire ants and Mediterranean fruitflies.  Tropica grows and
ships everything in rockwool.  They have been trying to work out some kind of
deal with the Feds, but to no avail.  I would think they could just bare the
roots and send the stuff like that.

If you are the William Bennet of "Drug Czar" fame, maybe you can pull some
strings with the Man.  Then we could all get them.

Bob Dixon