Worms - Help

Steve Bansee wrote: <<<<Subject: Worms - Help
I just lost (or had to get rid off ) one of my Cherry Barbs, she was
swimming close to the bottom of the tank, when I look closely she had these
tiny red worms sticking out of her belly area.  I tried searching the web
for info on how to treat this, but all I came up with is some type of
medicine for farm animals, that some people use to treat their tanks.  I
just wanted to know if anyone out there know what this fish was infected
with and if I should treat the rest of the tank, if I should treat the rest
of the tank what  medicine should I use, hopefully something that will be
safe with plants.(...)>>>>>>

It sounds like a nematode worm infection. The drug you refer to is
probably levamisole, which indeed is one of the most effective
and safe treatments. If you can get hold of it, it is certainly the
best choice. In alternative, you can try flubendazole, or Fluke-
Tabs. You can see pros and cons of each in the treatment
data section at:  http://world.std.com/~enjolras/symtreat.htm

They should all be OK in planted aquariums.

Dionigi Maladorno
dionigi.maladorno at roche_com
This message presents personal opinions which are not necessarily those
of my employer.