Worms - Help

Hi,

I just lost (or had to get rid off ) one of my Cherry Barbs, she was
swimming close to the bottom of the tank, when I look closely she had these
tiny red worms sticking out of her belly area.  I tried searching the web
for info on how to treat this, but all I came up with is some type of
medicine for farm animals, that some people use to treat their tanks.  I
just wanted to know if anyone out there know what this fish was infected
with and if I should treat the rest of the tank, if I should treat the rest
of the tank what  medicine should I use, hopefully something that will be
safe with plants.

Thanks Alot
Steve Bansee
Winnipeg, Manitoba