Re: Pearl Grass

>From: "Berryman, David" <DBerryma at AspenMed_org>
>Subject: Glossostigma elatinoides
> Also Amano uses a plant that he refers to as Pearl Grass.  Does
>anyone know the scientific name for it?  I was hoping to buy some Pearl
>Grass form someone on the list as well.

There are 2 related species called pearl grass. One is Hemianthus
micrantheimoides. Genus previously called Micranthemum micranthemoides.
The stems grow staight up. There are 4 leaves per node.In the Dennerle
book, it is pictured on p.105, plant #M31. There is similar plant which
grows more loosely, with pairs of alternating leaves. . It is listed as
"Micranthemum spec." (shown as M33, but it is not a good picture). I
suspect it should be called Hemianthus sp. I know for sure that Amano calls
this one "Pearl grass" because I got my original cutting directly from one
of his tanks. This one is my favorite. I liked it as soon as I first saw it
and have kept it going since 1995. Both of these delicate plants will
suffer if they are in a tank with large Echinodorus or other nutrient
sponges. Email me off line.

--Neil