Re: Amazon

In a message dated 8/24/1999 1:56:29 AM Mountain Daylight Time,

> My original post regarded the collection of all things from the amazon.
>  And my readings dealing with this region stated that with the current
>  destruction/deforestation the region will last about 50 more years.  WE
>  will be the generations that those of the future will blame for it's
>  destruction.

But collecting of aquatic plants will do NOTHING as far as de-forestation is
concerned. We aren't arguing the good/bad of de-forestation.  We all know
that it is bad.  When we ride a boat through the rainforest and collect fish
and plants, it does not cause de-forestation

>  If we condone this behavior then we are encouraging others to partake in
>  it as well.  By the unique act of collection we are individually doing no
>  harm but as a society we as a whole are doing a tremendous amount of
>  damage.

But the discussion was about the collection of a plants by individuals.  Why
are you going on about something as off-topic as de-forestation.  In reality,
the tropical aquarium hobby, by its very existance, opposes deforestation,
and gives countries like Brazil reason to preserve the forest.  The forest is
a replenishable resource which can be harvested to a specific finite level.
De-forestation is a whole 'nother story.

Bob Dixon