Re: ick and medications for planted tank

> Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 09:23:32 +0800
> From: Kenny Poh <animator at singnet_com.sg>
> Subject: Re: ick and medications for planted tank
>
> Talking abt medications for ick and other diesases in a planted tank, I have
> observed an algae bloom everytime I used them to treat my planted tank, wonder if
> they are coincidences?

There is a group of the meds used for treating sick fish called organophosophates.
As the name indicates, they contain phosphonate (phosphate) which will cause algae
blooms.  Of the meds we tried while recently treating for gill flukes (Dactylogyrus),
Life Bearer and General Cure contained phosphonate.  There is a list of ingredients
on most meds that will tell you what you're buying.

The algae bloom we suffered from the med-related phosphate was mostly of the
blue-green variety which completely smothered the hornwart.  I'm afraid we simply
discarded it.  The swords fared much better, with only an increase in the green hair
algae from which they, unfortunately, already suffered.

The tank holding the gill flukes-infested fish was eventually broken down and
completely sterilized to remove all possible fluke eggs.  The tank has only recently
been re-established and re-planted.  The fish will go back in a week or so.

For more information on flukes, plus general information on groups of meds:

    http://www.koiusa.com/library/flukes.htm

Beverly Wladyka
Edmonton AB Canada
  http://cbt.bungi.com/amazonaquarium