Re: substrate fertilizers and others

I have done the experiment in regards to whether the nitrates or phosphates
leach out of the substrate when high dose fertilizers are used.  There was
no leaching whatsoever.

As to using other fertilizers, I think it depends on what kinds of plants
are in the aquarium.  Some plants can 'leaf feeders' or are floaters that
depend on the water column for their nutrients.  Then there are the 'root
feeders' like crypts, vals, sags, and swords.

Everyone has to determine which balance of nutrient provision works best for
their particular situation.  Fish loads and CO2 injection or lack therof
also come into play.   I don't think anyone can generalize, only provide
information on their own experiences.

G. Kadar