Re: SAE's

In a message dated 4/29/99 3:51:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,

> From: Kelly Beard <apistogramma at home_com>
>   Subject: Came close to an SAE today
>
>   Was in Iowa City Tuesday and Wednesday for a little business excursion.
>   I've made it a point to visit local fish stores when I get done for the
>   day.  Went to a place that sold pets, feed and seed (gardening stuff).
>   Their tanks and general condition of fish were not great.  But, in a
>   tank I saw fish that I knew where SAEs.  Went back to work and went to
>   thekrib to confirm.  Yep.  I asked the guy about buying all (5) of them
>   and taking them back with me to Nashville.  He assurred me they wouldn't
>   make it because they didn't have pure O2 to pump in the bags.  So, not
>   wanting to kill fish, I opted to not chance it.  D*mn.  At least I got
>   his suppliers phone #.  Maybe Nashville will have SAEs yet. >>

Hi Kelly,
I don't claim to know everything about SAE's, however I, like many other
killifish breeders ship fish A LOT. I have had fish in bags (in a styro
box)lost in the mail for up to 21 days- 7 out of 10 lived. I have shipped at
least _several hundreds_ of fish over the last 10 years. With very few losses.
I know SAE's may be a little less hardy than some killies but NEXT TIME BUY
THEM!
The fish should make it for at least 24-48 hours even without extra o2. I
have purchased fish and carried them home in a carry on bag 2 days after I
purchased them. In fact I'll probably buy fish at the AKA convention next
month and carry them home in a carry on bag.

Good luck next time.
Jim Eller
Join the Killie Trader Mailing list. Buy/Sell/Trade killies.
sign up at http://www.angelfire.com/biz2/killietrader