All my snails died... ???

I know that some folks hate snails, but I really didn't mind them when I had them.
The never over populated, and they helped keep algea in check.

Any way, my problem is, when I switched to RO water from tap water, I noticed a slow decrease in the snail population.  Now I don't have any that I'm aware of.  I don't know if the switch to RO water was the cause, or simple coincidence.  Any ideas what would
cause this?  Anything I can change to make the tank more "snail friendly"?  I read somewhere (don't remember where) that it could be related to carbonate hardness beging too low.  Is this correct, and if so why, and how do I fix it.

Thanks,
John