Getting rid of algae on snails w/o killing the latter

In a message dated 12/31/98 12:50:11 AM Pacific Standard Time, Aquatic-Plants-
Owner at actwin_com writes:

<< I am getting ready to redo my tank using the bleach treatment to rid
 myself of hair algae.

 Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can "clean" some snails (trumpet
 and ramshorn) to re-seed the tank?

 Would placing them in a jar with a herbicide or a algaecide do the job
 on hair algae without killing the snails? (I have some roundup at
 home...)

Bill, nix the Roundup (don't fool with teratogenic herbicides period); it
won't touch the algae anyway. An approach I know that is safe and effective is
to keep the snails in absolute darkness for a few weeks and feed sparingly...
you can relegate them to a snall sponge-filtered system in a closet with dark
paper taped around the outside... till they eat the algae off each other or it
otherwise perishes from lack o' light... and don't forget to rinse those
slimesters off as you transfer them back (to disallow algal spores).
Bob Fenner