Acrylic Tank -- Too much insulation?

Hi.. I've just setup (last Sunday) an Acrylic tank (50 gallon) and have
some problems with the tank running too hot.. I got the tank all setup
with the Tetra substrate material mixed with the gravel, lots of plants,
and some fish to help stablize the "new" tank.. Anyway, my main
problem right now is tank temperature.. When I setup the tank, I got
the temperature to about 77-78 degrees, and the first night I left the
light on for about 8 hours.. When I came down the next morning, I
forgot to check the temperature, but did turn the light off and went to
work.. When I got home, I looked at the temp. and it was hovering at
about 81 degrees!  Now, I'm in Los Angeles where it has been a bit
warm the last few days, but I'm concerned about the fact that I can't
seem to get the tank to dissipate the heat in the water.. So far, I've
tried the following things :

	o	Unplug the tank heater (it's been unplugged since
	   	yesterday afternoon -- ~20 hours)
	o	No more lights on at night (lights generating too much
		heat?) or day
	o 	Leaving the hood off at night (and it is still that way)

I was just at home a little while ago and the tank was still at 80 deg.
The only things running are a Fluval 403 (w/o activated charcoal)
and a powerhead.  Unfortunately, I've had to put to rest one of the
fish in the tank (molly -- suggested as good by our LFS)  -- too
much heat?  Fish heat-stroke?

I don't seem to have this temperature problem with my other 50
gallon glass tank.

Any ideas are appreciated -- and no this tank has no substrate heater.