Amano Blue

Susan Romano writes:

> I'd be very interested to hear from someone who knows
> for sure how Takashi Amano achieves those incredible
> sky blue backdrops to his tanks.... The blue lighting is
> on all sides and shows a continuous graduation from blue
> to white, going from bottom to top.

I wish I could tell you "for sure".  What I can say with confidence
is the white on the bottom of that picture and also of most of the
pictures in Aqua Journal volume 33 are the result of photographic
technique, with most of the white attributable to flash units placed
behind the tank. This is not an unusual photographic technique though
of course his application is excellent.

Somewhere in the archives is a description of Amano photographic
technique.  I might note that his earlier works did not have this white
to blue effect so it is likely the technique in the archives is different
from what is used in his current works.

Hope this helps.

Christopher Coleman
christopher.coleman at worldnet_att.net