Re:DIY Substrate Heating Cables

Jay wrote,

>Hello All!

I am currently in the process of setting up a 75G planted tank, and am
considering building a DIY substrate heating system as described in the
Dan Resler and Uwe Behle article published in the March 1995 issue of
Aquarium Fish Magazine.  Has anyone out there built a system like this,
including the cables?
>snip

For about $25 I installed substrate heating cables very similar to
what you describe a little over a year ago. See  my post at
http://www.actwin.com/fish/aquatic-plants/month.9703/msg00457.html

I don't now how much it has contributed to my success but it seems to
be working fine. I used a 12V-5amp transformer ($11 from all
electronics  www.allcorp.com) and have had no problems with it.

You may want a higher wattage transformer which you can find in the
current MPJA catalog. (www.mpja.com)

They have a 13.5V-20A transformer for $19.95 and a 13.5V-35A one for
$24.95.

==
Jim Spencer
Sayre, PA