Re: Myriophyllum spicatum

I remember seeing M. spicatum in Lake Mendota, in Madison, Wisconsin, and
it seemed to be a well behaved member of the aquatic plant community, not
taking over the place.  I can see why we are upset with plants like water
hyacinth that entirely covers bodies of water or kudzu that covers over
trees and kills them, but what is the complaint about M. spicatum?  And,
while I'm at it, what are the complaints about Hygrophila polysperma and
Hydrilla verticillata?  Are they crowding native speices to extinction?
Are they making waterways unnavigable?

Paul Krombholz, in central Mississippi with thundershowers.