Re: Myriophyllum spicatum

     >I remember seeing M. spicatum in Lake Mendota, in Madison, Wisconsin,
     >and it seemed to be a well behaved member of the aquatic plant
     >community, not taking over the place.  I can see why we are upset
     >with plants like water hyacinth that entirely covers bodies of water
     >or kudzu that covers over trees and kills them, but what is the
     >complaint about M. spicatum?  And, while I'm at it, what are the
     >complaints about Hygrophila polysperma and Hydrilla verticillata?
     >Are they crowding native speices to extinction? Are they making
     >waterways unnavigable?

     I've never heard of Hygrophila polysperma causing problems, nor is it
     banned in any states I am familiar with, but Hydrilla is the number
     one aquatic plant pest in most of the southeastern states.  Yes, it
     clogs waterways, intakes, and crowds out native species.  Here are
     some articles, with photos:

     http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/hydrinex.html
     http://www.catalinas.net/seer/er/tnc/hydrilla.htm
     http://www.dep.state.fl.us/nwd/NATIVE/D2HYDRL.htm

     Interestingly, Florida and Texas have both claimed victory over water
     hyacinth, and M. spicatum is no longer considered a problem in Texas.
     We want to keep it that way.

     Here are some M. spicatum websites:
     http://nas.er.usgs.gov/dicots/my_spica.html
     http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/milfoil4.html