[Prev][Next][Index]

Reasons to let algae grow?

Due to a gill fluke problem I recently medicated an entire 125g show tank
which killed the nitrifying bacteria.  I will repeat the 6 day treatment in
a few days to ensure all the flukes are gone by breaking their lifecycle.
The pH is 6.8 but I had trace ammonia (not ammonium) using an Aquarium
Pharmaceutical's Master test kit after 4 days.  I started doing 50% water
changes every 2 days (before the next scheduled dose of medicine) to
prevent an ammonia burn.

Normally, I remove algae but decided to leave it to soak up nutrients
instead. The medication (Paragon) said to not add any other chemicals to
the water so PMDD was not added (just got all the ingredients).  I wonder
what folks on the list have to say about not removing algae in this
situation.  Is my reasoning that algae (which IS a plant) will help remove
ammonia and other nitrogen by-products valid?  If this is so, then there
are situations where algae removing efforts should be temporarily stopped.

Rochelle Williams
williaro at ftmcphsn-emh1_army.mil
In early Springtime Atlanta - my outside garden is starting to bloom like
crazy!