[Prev][Next][Index]

Re:drilled vs non-drilled tanks

     I have a non-drilled 90 gallon planted tank, filtered by one 2015 Eheim
     canister and one Hagen aquaclear 300.  I am a former saltwater tank keeper,
     and I sold my wet-dry filter two years ago (I switched to freshwater
     planted tanks because I wanted something more challenging! ;-).  I never
     used my wet-dry in my freshwater tank, as I felt it was overkill.

     I had a hanging surface skimmer in my saltwater tank, but I don't miss it
     because surface mulm isn't a problem in my planted tank.  Besides, it would
     probably clog with the blooms and floating leaves from my huge swords and
     apons.  The aquaclear is my "workhorse" filter, as plants produce a lot of
     debris.  The aquaclear is a great mechanical filter, and very easy to
     clean.  I removed the carbon bag and added a second foam block, for extra
     filtration.  Mechanical filtration is a high priority for a planted tank,
     in my opinion.

     The eheim is used primarily as a CO2 reactor.  I bubble CO2 directly into
     the intake, and the outflow is on the opposite side of the tank.  I removed
     all the floss filtration that came with the canister and filled it with
     crushed lava rock--it's cheap, porous, and provides a lot of surface area
     for bacteria to colonize.  Also, it does not clog with plant debris and I
     don't have to clean it.  I'm sure the eheim provides some biological
     filtration, but compared to the plants I believe it is insignificant.
     There might be a gram or two of bacterial biomass in the canister, but
     there are several kilos of plant biomass in the tank.  I think the ammonia
     "demand" is greater from the plants than from the bacteria.  I know they
     grow faster!

     My heater is obscured by my plants, and is near the intake for the
     aquaclear and gets plenty of water flow.

     Bottom line?  My current system is easier to maintain, and is more quiet.
     Also, if one of my filters fail (hard to imagine--eheims and hagens just
     keep going and going; my eheim is 15 years old, and my hagen is 4), they
     are easy to replace or repair.