[Prev][Next][Index]

Visi-Jet Protein Skimmer as a CO2 reactor?

Has anyone tried the Visi-Jet Protein Skimmer as a CO2 reactor?

I was in a pet store the other day and looked at the protein skimmer.
It looks like with very little modification, one can use it as decent
CO2 reactor.  The unit come with a Visi-Jet power head with water intake
filter built into a ~2 inch diameter 10-12 inch long tube.  The tube
has a water exit out the bottom.  An airline tube (CO2?) can
be attached to the top venturi power head cap.  The top "collection
receptacle" can be replaced with a cap, since one would want that
in a CO2 reactor.

What I like about it is that the powerhead has a flow control knob and
a water flow rate meter.  From the design, it looks like the power head
would create a lot of turbulence for good CO2 water mixing.
Since I haven't tried it yet, I don't if the water flow rate can be
adjusted low enough so that the CO2 bubbles don't get blown out the
bottom.  I suspect that it will work, since in it intended application
air bubbles are ejected into the tube-skimmer.

The unit cost about $30 mail order, so I was hoping someone else
had tried before and knows whether it will work.

Ron Wozniak  Allentown PA, USA