Re: [APD] Computer history

At 10:42 AM 10/18/07 -0700, you wrote:
>At 08:37 10/18/2007, you wrote:
>> > That's after my time. I had to work with a computer that had 256 bytes of
>> > RAM. You could upgrade it to 512 bytes for a large sum...
>> > Cambridge Mk 14 IIRC.
>
>You guys are kids.  My first machine was an IBM 704 at Hunter's Point
>Naval Shipyard.  It had a manual (non-electric) keypunch.   The
>printer used wiring boards for programming.  Real tubes.  Ran
>diagnostics all night.  1959!   I am about to celebrate my fiftieth
>year in programming.   43 languages used.

I had a job when I Was a kid that incolved some Burroughs 90 col card
gear and a "computer" you programmed with patch board panels. I swear this
gear was built to compete with IBM for the 1904 census.

I was used to the more "modern" IBM 1130 that I'd had access to
since 1970 in high school.

I picked up a bunch of langauage too, but really only ever use C.

--

  X   AGAINST HTML MAIL    / http://new.killi.net
 / \  AND POSTINGS        / http://images.aquaria.net