Re: [APD] Recommendation on college landscaping books

Greg Fiske wrote the following:

Subject: [APD] Recommendation on college landscaping books
From: "Greg Fiske" <GFiske at tkscengineering_com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 09:42:48 -0800

I was interested in improving my underwater landscaping skills.  Does anyone
have any recommendation on landscaping books?  Do college landscaping
textbooks have information on color and composition, or things that might
apply to aquascaping?  Or is it just technical information about storm water
or grading, for example?  Would I be better off studying graphic design
books?  I've gone through gardening books and Japanese gardening books at
borders, but would like something a bit more in-depth.
Thanks,
Greg

Jerry Smith writes the following:

Greg

I saw your post and meant to reply sooner, but was delayed. I have a book
called, "The Perennial Garden- Color Harmonies through the Seasons" written
by Jeff and Marilyn Cox and published by Rodale Press, Inc. in Emmaus, PA.
It was published in 1985 with the ISBN of 0-87857-573-1.

The first chapters may have a lot of information useful in designing
underwater landscapes. Chapter 2 is titled, "Understanding Color Harmonies"
and gets into the nature of color, color theory, and color harmonies in art
and nature. Chapter 3 "Planning the Flower Garden" gets into color accents,
color balance, color strategies, and planning the garden on paper. Chapter 4
gets in monthly color balance in perennial gardens.

The color photos really are beautiful. Plenty of rockwork in the perennial
gardens with ideas to use in an aquarium- not to say the book gives hints
about aquariums, just that with imagination you can transfer the information
underwater.

I am not sure if the book is still in print, but you may be able to get it
from your library via interlibrary loan, or purchase it used via the
Internet. Hope you can find it.

Jerry Smith