Good luck with this idea. Some years ago I decided that my tank would look
nice with Salvinia confined to a small area, I used suction cups and the braces
from those tank dividers they sell. It never worked out very well, the
Salvinia continually escaped. Floating plants lust after the whole surface area.

In a message dated 1/27/2007 12:09:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
aquatic-plants-request at actwin_com writes:
Message: 1
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:25:08 -0800
From: Vaughn Hopkins <hoppycalif at yahoo_com>
Subject: Re: [APD] Ideas for encouraging/controlling floating plants
To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>

On one of the aquatic plant forums someone suggested using airline
tubing to form a duckweed fence.  The idea was to plug the ends of a
loop of airline, secure it in one  place on the water surface, where
it would float.  You could use airline support suction cups to hold
it in place.  I haven't tried the idea, but it should work very well.

Vaughn

On Jan 27, 2007, at 7:58 AM, Erin Poythress wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Most of the discussions on here about floating plants
> that I've observed tend to be about what a pain
> duckweed is to remove. :) I particularly remember
> someone suggesting a wet vac!
>
> But I have a spot in my 37G that I'd actually like
> some floating plants to thrive, though I'd greatly
> prefer frogbit (what's its fancy name?) or maybe
> Riccia to the rabid duckweed. The spot could cover as
> much as 1/3 of the tank (under it are a bunch of java
> ferns growing on lace rock-- oh, and algae).
>
> The problem, as I'm sure you're aware, is keeping the
> frogbit where I want it. I know that some pond keepers
> string fishing line to keep floaters in a particular
> spot, but fishing line up there would make water
> changing kind of a pain. Any ideas about what I could
> attach to keep the frogbit on that side that I could
> also remove easily when needed?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
> Erin

Gerry Skau
All The World's A Stage, But The Play Is Badly Cast---Oscar Wilde