Re: [APD] solar tanks

OK...with a south facing roof I have more than enough room for panels to
support my entire house, with space to spare.  But unlike NorCal, SDG&E
in San Diego has no program for a mini-producer like me to sell excess
energy.   It's actually to my benefit to produce just less than 100%.
Ping off-list if you want to know why.  If I could sell back, I would
have gotten a bigger system (I have the inverter capacity, just not the
panels...and they're the cheap part).  As it is, I'm looking at a 5-7yr
return on investment (system paid for itself).  Regardless, I was lucky
enough to have $16K extra that was not a loan.

As for cost...prices are falling.  A new system equivalent to mine is
close to 30% cheaper than 3 years ago when I bought it (Gross cost, not
adjusted for rebates, etc).  As time goes by in Kalifornia, the rebates
are steadily decreasing.  In fact, it's almost a wash between the cost
and rebates decreasing.

One of the new technologies is a flexible tile-like solar cell.  Looks
like a regular composite shingle except it's a solar cell.  So now even
aesthetics are a non-issue.  Panels like mine are warrantied for 25
years.  The inverters are good for 5.  The inverters are the expensive
part ($3K-$5K each).  Newer inverters can handle more KW for less $$.

When I upgrade my house (aka buy a new home), my plan is to have the
builder work with my solar contractor to make it an integrated
installation.  This will decrease the overall cost as well as "clean up"
the installation.  The builder is already on board with that.  My
opinion is that all new homes, at least in lovely areas like San Diego
with obscene amounts of nice weather, should be required to have solar
systems.  You'd be amazed at what this could do....

--
Mike