[APD] extra plants - ALGAE ALGAE ALGAE

I'm a little confused on this post ... namely:

> based on that, plus my own experience, a 29 gallon
> aquarium without CO2 will very soon grow a healthy crop of various
> algae.

and then, it seems, in contradiction:

> Even a 29 gallon aquarium with CO2, but an inadequate or
> fluctuating amount of CO2, will also soon become an algae garden.

>From my (admittedly meager by comparison) experience, co2 is extremely
helpful in eradicating algae. It gives plants the edge, since they
(supposedly) utilize the co2 whereas the algae does not, and can grow in the
poorest of conditions. Sort of helpful in keeping the water healthy, I
suppose, but unsightly for me.

A couple years ago, the jury was out on Excel ... but consensus was, it
wasn't a replacement for CO2. If that has changed, that would probably be a
good way to go ... but, at this point, bare few plants to utilize it. The
last time I went to the LFS for a tank planting, I think a few plants were
actually bog, which didn't really help. It's been a while since I've paid
attention (the tank was pretty sufficient and unchanged in the last 2 years
or so) ... and didn't recognize some of them. I know the emersed and
immersed leaves are different, and it was difficult for me to tell. In any
case, they didn't help. And the stem plants are pretty much dead and buried.
Ordering online is chancy, and I need to really plant the tank as much as
possible.

Slvia