Re: [APD] Re: Chemical (mis?)information -- or - Disinfect but not till it poisons me

Per EPA, under the Safe Drinking Water Act:

"The final Stage 1 Disinfectants and Disinfection
Byproducts Rule applies to community water systems and
non-transient non-community systems, including those
serving fewer than 10,000 people, that add a disinfectant
to the drinking water during any part of the treatment
process.

The final Stage 1 Disinfectants and Disinfection Byproducts
Rule includes the following key provisions:

Maximum residual disinfectant level goals (MRDLGs) for
chlorine (4 mg/L), chloramines (4 mg/L), and chlorine
dioxide (0.8 mg/L); . . .MRDLs for three disinfectants
(chlorine (4.0 mg/L), chloramines (4.0 mg/L), and chlorine
dioxide (0.8 mg/L));
MCLs for total trihalomethanes - a sum of the four listed
above (0.080 mg/L), haloacetic acids (HAA5) (0.060 mg/L)- a
sum of the two listed above plus monochloroacetic acid and
mono- and dibromoacetic acids), and two inorganic
disinfection byproducts (chlorite (1.0 mg/L)) and bromate
(0.010 mg/L)); and
A treatment technique for removal of DBP precursor
material.  .  . "

Wheww! Plus, you have to know a lot about plumbing!

I imagine the Stage 2 rule is even tougher.

EPA apparently recommends chloramines, among other chems,
as an alternative disinfectant to chlorine and it is a
disinfeftant of choice for many water suppliers because
using only chlorine as a secondary disinfectant makes it
harder to meet the stiffer disfection byproducts limits.

Where's Roger when we need him? I bet he knows the low down
on this stuff.

Scott H.

=====
S. Hieber
Aquascaping by Takashi Amano and More at
the AGA 2004 Annual Convention
Nov 12, 13 & 14
Marriot Crystal Gateway, Arlington, Virginia, USA