[APD] Re: Micro plant tank ideas

RPH wrote, in part:

"Number 2 is a bad idea!! Think about it, snails is not the only thing dwarf
puffers eat! If they are strong enough to bite through the shell of a snail,
how long do you think it will take them to eat a shrimp?"

Quite a number of dwarf puffer (Carinotetraodon travancoricus, the only
puffer small enough for such tanks)  keepers set small planted tanks for
them, with Ghost or Amano or even Red Cherry shrimp without problems.  A few
have reported shrimp being eaten, but the majority seem to have few
problems.  I don't know what would happen with fasting fish during absences.
I have not been brave enough to try myself, but my dwarves are going to move
to a larger tank - which already has Amanos - so I will find out for myself
soon.  The dwarves cannot bite into most shells, but do eat snails readily,
by the same technique Clown Loaches use - bit and tug and twist at the flesh
of the snail.

Robert Ricketts