Re: [APD] filtering a co2 tank

I am also setting up a new tank and am going to be using a wet/dry filter on
it. Before deciding to do so I did a lot of reading up on trickle filters and
loss of co2. I found a very interesting article

http://www.frii.com/~gbooth/AquaticConcepts/  Go to "Carbon Dioxide
Injection" in the navigation bar and then "Do trickle filters cause
lots of CO2 loss?"

Obviously this experiment is very specific to their setup... the loss of co2
will depend a lot on your filter (how much co2 can escape from it). There are
also people who have personal experience with trickle filters removing co2...
so as far as I have found there is no "correct" answer.

The problem I see with using an aquaclear is that if you are not religious
about topping off your water levels, you will end up with a lot of surface
agitation, thus loss of co2. Aquaclears don't provide excellent bio
filtration, but since this is a planted tank (depending on your bio load) you
don't need all that much artificial bio filtration. A lot of people really
prefer canister filters because they are airtight and don't cause much co2
loss. And you can place the filter diffusor deep in the water so you don't
have to worry about topping off your water levels as much as with the
aquaclear (however with trickle filters the water level in the tank never
changes). Obviously a canister filter is not very practical for diy... the
easiest filter to diy is a trickle filter.

On my setup I plan to inject the co2 into the sump because I am striving to
keep as many things out of the aquarium as possible. This is the main reason I
really wanted to use a trickle filter. Surface turbulence in the sump shouldnt
be a problem... trickling should end in the compartment where the bio media is
(if the experiment above is correct the air should hopefully be saturated with
co2 anyway) from that point to the pump it should be smooth water flow. If you
have the co2 being injected "upstream" from the bio media compartment any
agitation there won't effect your co2 injection. Even if there is co2
outgassing in the bio media compartment... it's "downstream" from the co2
injection.

I am going to give the trickle filter a try and if I find that it causes too
much co2 loss I will just switch to a canister filter, and unfortunately have
to put all that ugly junk in the aquarium. As always, if anyone has any
different ideas I would like to hear them.