Reintroductions and Introductions

Robert Paul Hudson said:
"I'm sorry, don't mean to be rude, but this is hogwash.  If
this was true we
wouldn't have such a problem with non naitive fish taking
over the habitats
of fish native to that area,  as a result of being released
by humans. How
do you think we have African cichlids swimming around in
Florida? When I was
a kid, I caught a 12" goldfish on a fishing line from a lake
in
Massachuessetts. It had probably been living there for ten
years or more. If
a non native fish can be introduced, thrive, and breed, then
certainly a
native fish re introduced would have no problem."

Robert, I think you are mixing up introduction of alien
invasive species with reintroductions. I gather that you are
aware of introductions and spreading of hardy species in new
ecosystems which can't resist the spread of the aliens
(ideal habitat, no predators, many prey species, no
competitors,etc...). Like you I have seen various types of
plants and animals invading the ecosystems in my country,
including goldfish.

But reintroductions of native species from animals kept in
captivity is not always so easy and I maintain that it in
many cases it is dangerous for the reintroductees unless
there is a very gradual reintroduction aided by humans.

I believe everyone is aware of the plight of Keiko the orca
(Free Willy) and the hardships alot of people have gone
through and the thousands of dollars spent to try to attempt
to reintroduce it to the wild  see
http://keiko.vestmannaeyjar.is/ and other Keiko sites.

Than there are the problems many scientists face when trying
to reintroduce animals from captive breeding problems,
including your Californian condor, Kemp's Ridley Sea Turtle,
Whooping crane and many many others.

"A major problem with fostering programs is that the young
animals learn crucial behaviors in the wild but not in
captivity. Captive bred animals sometimes bond to their
human keepers instead of their own species, and this makes
reproduction difficult."
http://darwin.bio.uci.edu/~sustain/bio65/lec15/b65lec15.htm#
California Condor.

This would hold true for a captive aquarium fish. It's not
just a question of instinct. Fish learn too. And they
forget. And if a fish has forgotten which other fish to
evade, which food is best, which shoal to be part of, where
to hide and where to hunt etc, then that fish is in trouble.

You may believe that this is hogwash, but I don't!

regards

Stephan

---
[This E-mail was scanned for spam and viruses by NextGen.net.]