Algae Observation

Just thought I'd pass this along. As you know I have a 72 gallon bowfront
tank. It is next to a south facing window which is not very well curtained -
even with the curtains closed, a fair amount of light gets in. It seems to
have an interesting effect on two kinds of algae in the tank, not what I
expected at all. The green dust algae which grows on the glass (and
sometimes on the plants), grows better on the *shaded* side of the tank -
the side where the light from the window doesn't reach at all, or only very
briefly. On the other hand, the brown crud that mostly grows on the gravel
(and sometimes on the plants), grows better on the *sunny* side of the tank.

I would have thought the green stuff would grow better in the light, and the
brown stuff in the dark.

Any comments?

-rs