Re: Rotala roots

>My Rotala Indica are growing like crazy.

I believe R. indica is the outdated name.  It is now
R. rotundifolia (species names are not capitalized).

>  I have planted them in bunches and they
>recently started growing what appear to be roots off
>of the main stems.

Normal and unavoidable.  I used to have a whole bunch
of it growing from up behind some moss covered
driftwood.  I would just give it a haircut when
needed.  I couldn't see any roots and it looked good
(below where I cut was a rooty mess, but was always
quickly covered by new growth).  You might try
something similar.  In my experience this is the best
way to utilize this plant.

>Is this brown-red coloration a good thing?

Yes.

Cavan