Re: one thing

> I have a bit of a strange question. Looking at the SFBAAPS gallery and
> essentially asking the usual question, that is, Why don't _my_ tanks look like
> that?, I thought, hm, maybe you guys can answer that. Not for me specifically,
> but really, why is it that once past the strip-light, leggy anacharis level,
> there seem to be two camps: Those that get great plant growth and have more
> attractive tanks, generally, than non-plant tanks, and people who get
> astounding color, seem to be able to grow anything, and have no empty spots in
> their substrate? I mean, I can't speak for others, but I have good light, and
> Flourite, and usually CO2, and spend way more time than I should on my tanks,
> so, Tom Barr, George Booth, and other people with incredibly enviable tanks,
> what's the secret, hmm? What, IYO, is the one thing that differentiates a
> planted tank from a masterpiece (and I don't mean artistic ability or
> anythiung, let's not get back into that)?
>
> -Molly & the fish

Beyond simply *wanting* to have a nice tank: simple, look at the articles on
that same site. CO2 and nutrients are the main thing. Pruning and leaving
open spaces are important also. Keeping up on the pruning the nutrients etc
are large parts of this.

Some folks may blur the line between pruning and aquascaping "art". In
science, I tend to be a splitter, in art, a lumper.

Sorry, but seldom is it ever one simple thing. It's all tied together.

The nutrient CO2 thing is not that difficult and becomes old hat rather
fast.

The pruning and keeping up with everything is a motivational issue that we
slack on and that neglect can and will cause issues.
Regards,
Tom Barr