Re: Fishless cycling

Michael is trying fishless cycling:

>I will be setting up a 30 gallon this weekend.  For the first time I'm
>going to try the fishles cycling method.  The substrate will be texas
>blast over laterite.  I was going to add some sagittaria in the foreground
>and then add the rest of the plants after the tank has cycled.  Since I
>will be adding more ammonia than is usually present when tanks are cycled
>naturally, is this bad for the plants?
<snip>

I've never had sag in the tank, but I think it'd be ok.  I've used Crypt
wendtii and Wisteria and both survived.  Did you buy the sag
potted?  Potted plants seem to work best for providing a bacteria seed in
this situation IME.  I suggest you also add some old, mature filter media
to speed up the process.  I've found that a medium sized tank will cycle in
2 weeks or less using 10% NH3 so long as a fat starter colony of bacteria
is used.  Be aware that the plants may compete for NH3 and prolong the
cycling process--that's been my experience, anyway.  I guess it depends on
the number of plants used.  I usually wait until after the nitrogen cycle
is established before I add plants these days, or I just use a mature
filter and don't cycle the tank at all.

Good luck!

Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee  USA