Soil brand for Diane Walstead's style tank?

I am attempting to use the method outlined in Diane Walstead's book.  I
would love to hear from anyone who has used this method.  In particular I
would be interested in finding the most appropriate store purchased brand of
potting soil.  I looked through the archives and found a reference to 'Black
River Soil' brand, sold at home depot.  Unfortunately, my local home depot
does not stock it and there was no analysis information with the posting
that I could use to find a good substitute.  I would also like to hear of
the results people have had and any general tips for optimizing this method.
For instance, which type of plants do particularly well.  Thank you in
advance.

David Brooks