Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #1436

> From: Steve Pushak <teban at powersonic_bc.ca>
> Subject: Internet libel
>
> I think the list maintainer of this group should establish a clear
> policy in regards to messages that might be of a libellous nature,
> purely for guidelines. This is how you cover your butt.

	IANAL, but as I understand it, the current law says
you protect yourself by _not_ publishing guidelines or regulating
content.

	Apparently, based on some precedent involving (I think)
CompuServ, if a forum is moderated, the forum is responsible for
the content. If the forum is _not_ moderated, they are not responsible
for the content.

	Guidelines might be safe, but might not. Safer, as I
understand it, to maintain a laissez faire policy.

--
crawford@     | "Our world has passed away/In wantonness
 kloognome.com| o'erthrown./There is nothing left to-day/But steel