Re: Green Eusteralis/Red Leaves

First of all, thanks to all that have given reports form AGA meeting, esp
fellow SFBAAPSers. Great job ! The onl-ine  contest pictures are the
internet event of the year for me (I know, I need to get a life), great Job
Erik Olsen.

on the subject of reddnes in plants.

At 03:48 AM 11/14/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 14:07:26 -0800
>From: "Dixon, Steven T. (BEn)" <stdixon at ben_bechtel.com>
>Subject: Green Eusteralis
>

>Re the phosphate levels, notice that Detlef doses PO4 once or twice a week
>(I can't quite tell which from his entry).  The level of redness shown in
>the pictures of his tank is about half of what is possible in my estimation.
>You will not need to restrict PO4 levels to the point where you are risking
>algae outbreaks in order to bring out the redness in ES.  Tiny pulses of
>phosphate are sufficient for good plant growth.  Try reducing the PO4 level
>to half of your current level and see what happens.  You will notice the
>color change in a few days.  If this doesn't do the trick, reduce the PO4
>level by half again.

I have been monitoring the effect of PO4 deficiency on red color, since
Steve first noted this about a year ago. My tank is not PO4 deficient, I
dose PO4 daily, I run the tank NO3 limited, on a suggestion from Tom Barr.
Algae stays under control, and through the warm months, I was not getting
much redness. Without changing my dosing, I am now noticing red leaves, esp
in H. Corymbosa. I have seen this when the leaves reach the surface, but
these leaves are only half way there, Ammania and L. Arcuata/Brevides
showing red too.

I am wondering about the effect of temp. on color ? I take heaters out of
the tank in May (I'm in San Jose, Ca) , and normally put them back in   mid
Oct. This year I have let it go a bit longer until now, and the tank will
drop into the mid-high 60's at night.

Could this be the cause of the reddening ?

Jim.